Bang, bang, you're dead

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Mar 8 10:40:11 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kelley" <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 3:37 PM Subject: Re: Bang, bang, you're dead

> At 02:16 PM 3/7/02 -0800, Ian Murray wrote:
> >==================
> >
> >Fair enough. Are those who do not suffer an antipathy towards
> >violence in achieving their aims prepared to deal with nukes,
> >chem-bio-weapons and the sheer mounds of dead
> >flesh...............? Who, after the battle[s], will
'volunteer'
> >for burial 'duty'?
> >
> >Ian
>

> well, as i've said before, when the state was pointing guns at
us at a
> demo, i was quite ready to arm the revo if it came down to
them moving a
> radioactive waste dump into my community. we owned a gun shop,
and i could
> very easily have started stock piling. :)

===============

Should Nevadan's arm themselves and occupy the Yucca mountains to stop the Feds? :->

> i know you've been there, too, at least i assume as
much--feeling the
> terror of state thugs ready to blow you away if you didn't
submit. i assume
> you haven't felt that anger and rage. maybe you're just a far
better person
> than i am. what can i say? i think part of it was that i had
a two year
> old at the time, and protective mama bear growled that day and
for awhile
> afterward.
=================

I've dodged my fair share of rubber bullets misfired by Seattle's dumbest - I mean finest - and like everyone else I was pissed; but it hasn't done anything except raise cortisol levels and that ain't cool. What befuddles me to know end is how we think we can get to "nothing to kill or die for and no religion too" by causing more death and destruction.

> all in all, i guess it is probably highly contextual for me.
That's why i
> can't reject violence, in principle. it also means that i
don't embrace
> violence, as an absolute. for instance, my truck with _some_
anarchists is
> the propensity to think that violence is the main answer
lately. at
> meetings here in florida, i find this tendency toward violent
tactics (and
> what I experience as an unbridled anger) to be very alienating
because it's
> like they have a hammer and everything they see is a nail. i
think we need
> more nuance, creativity than that.
>

> kelley

That's alot of people's frustration with the A crowd right now. There's an impatience borne of the notion that the system has a slow mo' death wish, that as a species we're wrecking everything we touch. But undoing/reconfiguring the institutional dynamics that precipitate those feelings calls for a creativity based on biophilia even more than anger. In the medium-long run anger is a waste of time. If we can't get beyond anger we'll stay stuck in a cul-de-sac.

Ian