Are Happy Times Back

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Fri Mar 8 10:48:36 PST 2002

Shipments by IT manufacturers are on the upswing, but well below the levels of a year ago, the government reported Wednesday. Nonetheless, the report suggests that businesses are beginning to spend money again on computer hardware as the economy recovers from a recession.

I think that this wave of IT spending is focused on cost-cutting, ie, getting rid of employees and their troublesome health benefits. Between "real time" computing across the enterprise and advanced speech applications, thousands of non-professional, but decent paying jobs will disappear. Seems like every ROI(return on investment) pitch I read in product announcements points toward getting rid of people. Most companies have just figured out what they can do with the IT stuff they bought three years ago and they're seeing the possibilities.

I don't know if anyone remembers my comment about how all the white people had disappeared from behind the teller windows at the bank a coupla years ago, but they're back.