Borderline Personality

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Mar 8 12:15:35 PST 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> > The most sophisticated and explicitly Frankfurterian [version of this
> > argument] was probably an article by Joel Kovel in the journal _Telos_
> > that I think was called "Rationalization and the Family" and came out
> > around the same time.
>
> The Frankfurt Schoolmen couldn't accept the fact that marriage and
> procreation have become a matter of choice (rather than necessity)
> for many.

That is arguably quite sharp and true about several of the original guys. But to be fair, and I'm not sure you meant it to apply to him, it is not at all true of Joel. And even among the old guys, Marcuse could be certainly be interpreted as being among the first to argue (in _Eros and Civilization_) that breaking up the bourgeois form of marriage, and breaking up the the bond between sexual pleasure and procreation, would be an act of mass liberation. That's certainly how his American student fans interpreted him.

Michael