Uninsured man not even put on transplant waiting lists

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Mar 9 11:40:41 PST 2002

>Badger Care [Wisconsin's Medicaid] entitled Resler to medical care
>but the care, he says, was both minimal and impersonal. The first
>doctor he saw took one look at him, heard his symptoms and told him
>he had jaundice and heartburn. The doctor prescribed a no salt,
>protein-loaded diet for the former and Zantac for the latter.
>Neither helped.

So many people think Medicaid is a social safety net. It isn't when hardly any docs will take it, the ones who do aren't very good doctors and in some rural areas there isn't ONE doctor good or bad who will take it. further Medicaid is being eroded by shaving off prescription drugs from the formulary. I know someone who cannot get oxygen now becaue MediCal denied her. So people THINK TWICE about believing that government health care is doing the job that private insurance does not do. It simply isn't the case. marta -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA www.disweb.org