Steel tariffs and politics (Re: Victories for instant runoff voting in SF & Vermont

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Mar 9 13:35:46 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi"
> at
> this point protectionist tariffs might constitute a setback for the
> US on the diplomatic front, pissing off its allies:

Yes, it's terrifically helpful for ideological work here in South Africa, particularly because thanks to our mealy-mouthed trade minister's pro-WTO role at Doha, SA was one of four developing countries to be spared the sanctions. The elites are floundering in a swamp of hypocrisy. It's quite nice to be able to point this out, as it lowers their legitimacy dramatically.