U.S. Works Up Plan for Using Nuclear Arms

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 9 16:02:48 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> These people are scary. Is this the core of US bourgeois opinion, or
> are these folks marginal loons?

Gordon on contingency plans offers part of the explanation. And as to the "leak" or "ballon" Nixon's idea that the U.S. should generate a fear of its looniness to make it unpredictable has I think always entered in some form into most foreign policy planning in most nations.

But I don't know of any ruling class that ever "gave up" its power on the basis of a rational calculation that the price of keeping power was too great. I would assume most ruling classes, including in particular the U.S., would risk mutual suicide of the contending forces rather than relinguish its power.

Carrol