Indian Music

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Mon Mar 11 06:40:16 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, ravi wrote:

> i notice that when you folks talk about indian classical, the discussion
> is mostly confined to north indian classical or "hindustani" music. i
> guess there is not much awareness of "carnatic" or south indian
> classical music in the west?

It is not nearly as popular. I play a bit of Mridanga and Ghatam as well as Tabla, but finding serious instruction on those instruments proved difficult in my area of the US. I was able to find a teacher of Tabla in the Benares style, though.

> for more on carnatic music, including possible concerts near you, see:
> http://www.cmana.org/

Thanks!

> zakir hussain will be in the US this year, at princeton in may (iirc).
> he might be touring other spots too.

[...]

> talking about fusion music, i didnt see anyone mention philip glass and
> ravi shankar. if you are into this stuff (and i am not, so i don't have
> any good info) also check out trilok gurtu.

IIRC Trilok was playing with a new incarnation of Oregon, an excellent fusion group with Indian classical influences. He also does percussion clinics and festivals; I saw him perform and teach at one a few years ago.

[...]

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 Trillian did a little research in the ship's copy of THHGTTG. It had some advice to offer on drunkenness. "Go to it", it said, "and good luck." It was cross-referenced to the entry concerning the size of the Universe and ways of coping with that.

-THHGTTG