all that glitters

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Tue Mar 12 09:26:40 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: / dave / <arouet at winternet.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 12:40 AM Subject: Re: all that glitters

> pms wrote:
>
> > Whatever, something does appear to be up with gold.
>
> "Encountering 141 solid bars' worth of gold-backed currency circulating
> on the Internet, therefore, is a little like hauling a wriggling,
> gasping coelacanth up from the bottom of the sea: It's a financial
> fossil come to life, calmly going about its existence despite decades of
> expert consensus that it couldn't be anything but dead."
>
> Wired 10.01: In Gold We Trust
>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.01/egold.html
>
> --
>
> / dave /

Some of the gold companies that advertise on this site have been touting their switch to paying dividends in gold as a selling point for their stock. Kitco has really been getting spifted-up lately. It's been obvious for a few months that they are getting a lot more traffic, and with that, lot's more ads from bigger companies.

http://www.kitco.com/

Check out the one-yr lease rate chart before the spike last year disappears. That radical spike in the amount of interest to be paid on leased gold marked the beginning of the last year's bull market in gold. Usually you can lease gold for almost nothing. For years this was done and the money put into other higher yielding investments. Since the price of gold kept going down, it was easy to pay it back. Nice work if you can get it. Or maybe we should call it welfare.