Primakov doctrine

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 12 10:45:00 PST 2002

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

> From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>

> What would an alliance linking Russia and other nations seek to achieve in
> practical terms? How would it achieve its goals given the superiority of the
> G-8 nations led by the US in trade, technology, capital flows, media
> domination etc.? It is not the anti-imperialist ideological fervour that
> drives foreign policies, but pragmatic considerations. Anti-imperialism died
> long ago, now even anti-imperialist rhetoric has vanished.

I wouldn't push the point too hard, but a couple of observations. Such an alliance (at this time*) would (a) not be "anti-imperialist" in a leftist sense but merely "anti-U.S., and (b) (again, _at this time_) it would not be aimed at defeating or overturning U.S. power but merely exerting a drag on it. For example, would the U.S. nuke Moscow or New Delhi over arms aid to Palestinians or economic aid to Cuba or Chavez's Benequela. World hegemony, even at the level of power represented by the U.S. stops somewhere short of the power over his _familio_ exercised by a Roman Pater Famillius (I think I've got my declensions wrong).

Carrol

*"At this time": Nothing lasts forever. "But at my back I always hear / Time's winged chariot hurrying on" -- as true for empires as for 17th c. lovers.