So Long Saddam

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 11:10:30 PST 2002

--- Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote: << What do "we" do once the invasion begins or coup takes place? Oppose the imperial designs, surely; but I'm confident that all of us here would have little problem seeing Saddam overthrown from within, even with CIA help.>>

Well, Dennis, I CERTAINLY have no problems with Saadam being overthrown. I DO have a problem with it being done by the CIA (US) though. I may be wrong, but if the US takes Iraq, then who's next? Iran. Iran would be surrounded by US forces in that case. I dont know that my speculation on this matter is sound, perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the region could comment.

I can just see the US forces going into Bagdhad...portrayed as the great liberators. Then we would see film clips of grateful Iraquis getting food and medicine (of course, this would be the food and medicine witheld from them by the US embargo...that would not be mentioned though).

What an absurd situation! You find yourself between a rock and a hard place. Either one takes the position that Saddam is OBJECTIVELY (my least favorite word) anti-imperialist....or one supports the US as an OBJECTIVELY progressive influence in this particular instance (as Hitchen's did in Afghanistan). Especially in a decimated country like Afghanistan, and I imagine a similar situation exists in Iraq, you find their is no organized popular force to support that could actually overthrow Saadam. I mean, you could say that you support "the people" but what does that mean in this given situation where you dont have a popular force capable of overthrowing the bastard (as far as I know). What to do???

Perhaps the question to ask to break out of this political cul de sac is this: what situation would give rise to conditions where people could ultimately organize and create a better society for themselves? I am not sure of the answer.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx