heroism/slock and 9/11

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 12:12:14 PST 2002

>When I was in "cop shop" in 76, learning to be a state park ranger, we had a whole host of teachers: Sheriffs, highway patrol, narcs, FBI, and fire fighters. The fire fighters were by far the best of the bunch: visibly intelligent and decent. The highway patrol were reasonable too. As for the rest, the least said the better.
>
>On the whole, fire fighters are heroes: they risk their lives and they are not bullies and they do not exist to terrorize the working class. Just because the media is shlocking them down doesn't mean they deserve it.

i agree...firefighting is a very admirable profession. i was just thinking that anything that is widely considered to be heroic by nature can't be heroic. like that subverts the self sacrificing element. but i didn't consider the schlocking to be part of it, yes that is a form of abuse perpetuated on the firemen for their acts of courage....i was only attempting to question the perception of "heroism" ..... even if firemen weren't considered heroes it would in no way diminish anything they do.

~json