So Long Saddam

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 13:31:39 PST 2002

<<Howabout a complex , well thought out "No US War !" The U.S. military, Bush and U.S. foreign policy are a greater threat to humanity than Saddam. The number one goal in the world is to stop U.S. imperialist war.>>

Charles, your response is not at all encumbered with complexity so why utter the word "complex"? Your response is, the US is the number one enemy, so let's support on some level anybody who opposes the United States. Have we not seen the result of this logic...of supporting dictators who happen to oppose the US...has it really brought that much liberation for the peoples in those countries? Does it matter too much to the people being trampled on whether the boot belongs to the US or to a home-grown despot?

The idea that we are going to weaken US/West by supporting 3rd World Nationalism seems to me dead in an era of global capitalism.

Thomas

Thomas

--- Charles Brown <CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:
> So Long Saddam
> Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net>
>

> Which leaves us with this question: What do "we" do
> once the invasion begins or coup takes place? Oppose
> the imperial designs, surely; but I'm confident that
> all of us here would have little problem seeing
> Saddam overthrown from within, even with CIA help.
> It seems to me that the simple-minded "No US War!"
> chant doesn't really apply anymore,
>

> ^^^^^^^
>
> CB: Howabout a complex , well thought out "No US War
> !" The U.S. military, Bush and U.S. foreign policy
> are a greater threat to humanity than Saddam. The
> number one goal in the world is to stop U.S.
> imperialist war.
>
> ^^^^^^^
>
> ^^^^^^^
>

> that "we" are in for some major changes. The
> struggle is to insist that Saddam go -- not on
> Bush's terms, but on the Iraqi people's terms, and
> expand and develop this view in concert with
> post-Taliban Afghanistan and the crucial issue of
> Israel/Palestine, a place where I'd have no problem
> seeing US troops escorting the IDF and settlers back
> to the pre-1967 borders.
>
> DP

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx