Ace on The Jews

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 12 16:28:04 PST 2002

Seth Ackerman wrote:

>You're referring to anti-semitism, I take it. Is anti-semitism contained in
>the Cockburn passage you've quoted?

Don't you find the tone of this a little weird?

>It's supposedly the third rail in journalism even to have a
>discussion of how much Jews control the media. Since some of the
>prime founders of Hollywood were Polish Jews who grew up within 50
>miles of one another in Galicia, it's reckoned as not so utterly
>beyond bounds to talk about Jewish power in Hollywood, though people
>still stir uneasily. Jude Wanniski remarked last week in his daily
>"Memo on the Margin" in his Web newsletter Supply Side Investor that
>(a) Graham was not being anti-Semitic, and that (b) it was certainly
>true to say that the Jews control discussion of Israel in the media
>here.

"The Jews"? This is getting awfully close to the fantasy figure of anti-Semitism, The Jew, who exists apart from any actual Jewish humans. And given the intimate relation between the U.S. national security state and Israel, isn't it just a bit disturbing that AC put it this way?

>There are a number of stories sloshing around the news now that have
>raised discussion of Israel and of the posture of American Jews to
>an acrid level. The purveyor of anthrax may have been a former
>government scientist of Jewish ethnic extraction with a record of
>baiting a colleague of Arab origins, acting with the intent to blame
>the anthrax on Muslim terrorists.

And the point of this is?

Doug