Ace on The Jews

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Mar 12 21:45:58 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Murray" <seamus2001 at attbi.com>
>Yes and when we say "capitalist," what happens to all those
>antinomies/aporias of methodological individualism?

"Capitalist" is a description of those wielding economic power-- it is a functional description of hierarchy. "Jew" is not a functional category, but a scapegoated group which is imagined to be a functional group by those needing that scapegoat -- even if historically Jews had been forced into certain functional roles that created the stereotype.

But to speak of capitalists as a group is no different from speaking of politicians as a group in the political realm. To say that politicians run the Congress s not pejorative, it is definitional (if possibly simplistic in a capitalist system where politics is not autonomous from the capitalist hierarchy).

-- Nathan Newman