Greenspan on U.S. foreign balance

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Wed Mar 13 12:14:37 PST 2002

Sort of what I was thinking when I posted this on March 2:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2B741B7 COMMENT & ANALYSIS: An unsustainable black hole: The US current account deficit cannot grow indefinitely without undermining the dollar's astonishing strength Financial Times; Feb 27, 2002 By MARTIN WOLF

Alan Greenspan's Federal Reserve has done a good job of rescuing the US economy from recession. Yet there remains a worry. By its monetary easing, the Federal Reserve has followed the core principle of Keynesian policymaking: look after the short run and the long run will look after itself. But the long run can bite back. (...) ---------------------------------------------------

So I'm asking again: Won't talking about the black hole cause a run on the bank and collapse the US Ponzi scheme? If the dollar bubble is about to pop, won't the Euro start to look more attractive? Is an interest rate war going to erupt between the US & EU on top of the free trade war and the war war?

Hakki