Al-Qaeda's Pals

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Mar 14 08:47:13 PST 2002

For those who feel we should leave poor al-Qaeda alone, chew on this:

"According to London's Financial Times, an alliance may already be underway between two unlikely partners: Al Qaeda and central European neo-Nazis. Europe's neo-Nazis tend to be white, young, blue collar, and unemployed. They're also violent: In a two-year period, German neo-Nazis were responsible for about 1,000 ethnically related hate crimes. French neo-Nazis chalked up 500 such offenses in a single year.

"Some of the crimes were against Muslims and Middle Easterners. Yet anti-Semitism shared by the neo-Nazis and Al Qaeda may provide common ground for cooperation. Interpol investigators suspect that the point of contact between Al Qaeda and the European neo-Nazis is Ahmed Huber, a flamboyant former Swiss journalist, now a businessman, who converted to Islam in the 1960s. Huber, according to Rome's La Repubblica, is a member of the board of directors of Nada Management, Al Qaeda's financial arm in continental Europe. According to the Financial Times, Huber has also worked to forge ties between Islamic fundamentalists and neo-Nazi movements in Switzerland and Germany."

http://www.pacificnews.org/content/pns/2001/nov/1116alqaeda.html

Of course, if we fight the neo-Nazis, there's a risk we'll create more neo-Nazis, so perhaps we should just . . . [fill in the blank].

DP