Capitalism and Science

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Mar 14 09:14:01 PST 2002

At 03:15 PM 03/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>2. Ad agencies are now helping pharmaceutical companies with their R&D.
>Mirabile dictu, some agencies even have their own labs for clinical tests --
>a more nightmarish combo of hucksterism and science I can't imagine.

Yeah. About fifteen years ago, I flew to the east coast for academic job interviews during a pretty bad snow storm. As a result, I wound up spending the night in the Newark airport, sleeping on the floor, as a result of the fact that airlines are sooo accomodating and that the benches had immovable arm-rests. The cold, dirty linoleum floor all night long...and then I had to get up in the morning to go to a job interview. Oh joy!

When I got up in the morning and made my way to a cup of coffee, I ran into a Larouchite who was buttonholing all passers-by with the question "Do you believe in capitalism and science?" An absurd question that would have earned him a negative response at any time, but this particular morning, it got him a very vehement negative. He seemed very surprised. Like, who could say "no" to that question?

All together now....

Joanna