Vegans kill animals too

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 14 10:10:40 PST 2002

ravi wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> I talked to an East Coaster a while back who spent some time in
>> Berkeley, hating it. She said the final straw, though, was when she
>> bought a pound of coffee that had a label assuring that "no birds were
>> harmed" in the production of the beans.
>>

>doug, i dont get your point. are you saying that veganism is some sort
>of silly california fad and has no moral value?

I fail to see the moral value of veganism, yes. Minimizing animal foods in your diet is probably a good health move, but I see no moral reason not to follow the example of our cat, and chomp away.

The coffee anecdote, though, is an example of the fetishistic silliness of Bay Area PCism. Living in Berkeley - which means driving, using electricity, etc. - probably does more harm to nature than producing tons of non-bird-sparing coffee.

Doug