So long Saddamn

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 14 10:11:57 PST 2002

>Al-Qaeda is a unique,
>and very dangerous problem, one that the US helped to bring to life. And
>now, if nothing else, the US must terminate that life.
>
>DP
>

>IF Al-quaeda is what they say it is, that is. As far as terminating forces
>hostile to the US, well, isn't there a poso that US actions have created a
>whole new pool of people willing to sacrifice their lives to get revenge
>against the US? Every time I read about someone who'd lost 8 or 10 family
>members in the bombing I thought of the creation of a new, dedicated anti-US
>terrorist.

Yes. I expect we have a substantial cadre of potential suicide bombers here in the U.S.: parents of those killed in the terror-atrocity that was the attack on the World Trade Center. Every Afghan civilian killed by U.S. bombs--every Taliban recruit killed--has relatives. Whether the U.S. retaliation against the Taliban would scotch the snake or simply give the hydra more heads was a big and important question back in mid-September.

So far things look better than they might: the lack of second- and third-stage attacks (save by Richard Reid) suggests that the destruction of the WTC and the U.S. retaliation, taken together, have discouraged rather than encouraged the growth of Al-Qaeda. But it hangs in the balance. And were I running foreign policy, I would be doing a lot of things very differently...

Brad DeLong