Jesus Christ's body found in Kashmir

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 14 12:45:12 PST 2002

> brad> That the Christian Church may have gotten itself up-to-date as
> brad> far as Astronomy is concerned, but that it's still running
> brad> with an Aristotelian concept of biology--that the male plants
> brad> the (entire) fertilized seed and the female just provides the
> brad> matrix in which it grows? I mean, "beget" means that you
> brad> contribute half (sorta) the genome and *only* half the genome,
> brad> or it means nothing at all...
>
>Millions of secularized American liberal Protestants, of various
>stripes and flavors, would protest at this point. First, the Vatican
>hierarchy is *not* coextensive with the "Christian Church" -- hell,
>there are lots of Catholics in the US who simply ignore their Church's
>teaching about stuff like contraception...
>

>Best,
>Kendall Clark

But I want to focus not on advice for human sexuality but on the deep Christology. Anyone who professes the Niceaen Creed--"eternally begotten, begotten not made..."--is either committed to a (false) Aristotelian biology of reproduction or has a *lot* of rethinking to do that will end with them worshiping Mary as the eternal Mother Goddess...