google the news

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu Mar 14 12:50:35 PST 2002

Kelley wrote:

> google's beta news search http://news.google.com/. below, a write up from
> Tara Calishan who writes the excellent weekly newsletter, ResearchBuzz:
>
> Google's finally launched a news search. It's in beta at
> http://news.google.com/ . This news search scrapes 100
> sources about once an hour, and allows you to search through
> almost seven days' worth of material.
>
> I liked the collection of headlines on the front page, and
> the summaries seemed useful and readable. But at the same
> time -- only a hundred sources? And you can't restrict
> searches to a particular time (all stories scraped in the
> last day, last three days, etc.) Nate Tyler, Google's PR
> Manager, tells me that Google will be adding more news
> sources in the future. He also reminded me that the news
> search is in beta and that Google welcomes feedback and
> feature requests from users.

As a news junkie and DIY journalist, I welcome this news. The true test will be if Google decides to index alternative news websites and blogs. It looks like this new Google feature will replace what I used to use Excite's news search for--Excite really went down the tubes for some reason.

The best search engine that I've found for alternative news is:

http://www.daypop.com/

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)