Myth of a Lifestyle Left, was Re: Vegans kill animals too

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 14 17:52:34 PST 2002

>When, in any definite context (as, for example, LBO discussions) someone
>seriously puts forth a proposition treating individual style choices as
>having political weight (as some months ago some jerk whose name I
>forget was making a big fuss about using Microsoft products) it is
>appropriate to pile up on him or her. But such generic attacks as Kelley
>is launching are as obnoxious as any of the targets of that attack.
>
>Carrol

it is the same kind of attack you are making, above. it is a description of people who identify with left analysis--a structural analysis of environmental problms, for instance--but who fail to extend those views to other issues. i'm pointing to people who make SUVs ownership a political and moral issue, or who complain about Microsoft. You know they exist, they are on this list and you've bitched at them. single issue greens are often exemplary of what we're talking about. no claim is made that they are a political movement. the claim that is made is that they are typically not from conventional centrist or rightist political backgrounds.

apologies accepted in the form of gift certificates to amazon.com.

kelley