Vegans kill animals too

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Mar 14 20:10:49 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Fitch" <gcf at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 7:15 PM Subject: Re: Vegans kill animals too

> "Gordon Fitch" <gcf at panix.com>:
> > The Silly People could argue, on the basis of nervous
> > > organization, that most fetuses were not sentient and
therefore

http://www.akronchildrens.org/neuropathology/DevelNeurobiolM1.html
> > #organogenesis >
> >
> > So if neuronal activity is a necessary condition for the
> > possibility of sentience and a currently necessary pathway to
> > personhood, the Silly people are even sillier than we
thought...

> The mere existence of neural tissue does not seem generally
> thought to guarantee sentience. Some of the literature (on
> both abortion and the interests of non-human animals) goes
> into this in considerable detail -- I think you could probably
> find something in Peter Singer's work if you really cared
> about it. But if you cared about it, I suppose you would
> have already. I perceive the rhetorical ground to have been
> much gone over and well-scorched, so I hope you'll forgive
> me if I don't pursue it further.
>
> -- Gordon

================== No prob. It is a worn out debate for sure. Neurons are damn mysterious when it comes to the sentience-experience spectrum, that's all. I don't think neurons are necessary for sentience.

Ian MCAT survivor