Hicks & Inbreds

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Fri Mar 15 03:11:06 PST 2002

I actually rather like the "lifestyle left". In general, they are usually nice people, and the fact that they don't always understand political economy as well as they might is hardly a reason to despise them in this world of ignorance and venality. It's awfully easy to make fun of "dolphin friendly tuna" and the like, and it's also fun, so we should keep on doing that. But there's an awful danger of developing a sort of inverse snobbery on this issue; after all, it's not as if the nasty kind of coffee is going to help the workers either. (personally, I drink Vietnamese coffee grown under Actually Existing Communism, so everyone else can fuck off). The lifestyle left do, in general, care about people poorer and less powerful than themselves, which puts them a couple of points higher up the list than people who don't.

On the subject of hicks & inbreds, I have a certain degree of experience, having grown up among the men who farm (and occasionally, fuck) sheep, high up in the Welsh mountains where it is quite certain that no edible arable crop will ever grow. RS Thomas, who is regarded in the Principality as a greater poet than either Yeats or Dylan Thomas, wrote a number of poems which sum up the genuine tension between respect for a way of life and horror at the kind of individuals which it typically produces, three of which I reproduce below (the third, "Welsh Landscape", is the most famous).

dd

====================

A Peasant

Iago Prytherch his name, though, be it allowed, Just an ordinary man of the bald Welsh hills, Who pens a few sheep in a gap of cloud. Docking mangels, chipping the green skin
>From the yellow bones with a half-witted grin
Of satisfaction, or churning the crude earth To a stiff sea of clods that glint in the wind - So are his days spent, his spittled mirth Rarer than the sun that cracks the cheeks Of the gaunt sky perhaps once in a week. And then at night see him fixed in his chair Motionless, except when he leans to gob in the fire. There is something frightening in the vacancy of his mind. His clothes, sour with years of sweat And animal contact, shock the refined, But affected, sense with their stark naturalness. Yet this is your prototype, who, season by season Against siege of rain and the wind’s attrition, Preserves his stock, an impregnable fortress Not to be stormed, even in death’s confusion. Remember him, then, for he, too, is a winner of wars, Enduring like a tree under the curious stars.

Iago Prytherch

Iago Prytherch, forgive my naming you. You are so far in your small fields
>From the world’s eye, sharpening your blade
On a cloud’s edge, no one will tell you How I made fun of you, or pitied either Your long soliloquies, crouched at your slow And patient surgery under the faint November rays of the sun’s lamp. Made fun of you? That was their graceless Accusation, because I took Your rags for theme, because I showed them Your thought’s bareness; science and art, The mind’s furniture, having no chance To install themselves, because of the great Draught of nature sweeping the skull. Fun? Pity? No word can describe My true feelings. I passed and saw you Labouring there, your dark figure Marring the simple geometry Of the square fields with its gaunt question. My poems were made in its long shadow Falling coldly across the page.

Welsh Landscape

To live in Wales is to be conscious At dusk of the spilled blood That went into the making of the wild sky, Dyeing the immaculate rivers In all their courses. It is to be aware, Above the noisy tractor And hum of the machine Of strife in the strung woods, Vibrant with sped arrows. You cannot live in the present, At least not in Wales. There is the language for instance, The soft consonants Strange to the ear. There are cries in the dark at night As owls answer the moon, And thick ambush of shadows, Hushed at the fields' corners. There is no present in Wales, And no future; There is only the past, Brittle with relics, Wind-bitten towers and castles With sham ghosts; Mouldering quarries and mines; And an impotent people, Sick with inbreeding, Worrying the carcase of an old song.