Walzer on the Left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 15 09:00:01 PST 2002

C. G. Estabrook quoted:

>CHOMSKY: It's not as bleak as I thought it was forty years ago. In fact,
>what I've insisted over and over again, and I think is true, is that the
>effect of the popular activism of the last forty years has been to make
>the country a much more civilized place.

We're so used to thinking that we're powerless and that everything's getting worse, but I think NC's right here. I think you could add that race relations, relations between men and women, tolerance of sexual minorities, child-rearing practices, and lots of other aspects of daily life are better too.

Doug