Berkeley gulag stories

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Fri Mar 15 11:43:37 PST 2002

I think you are just talking about the Berkeley attitude in general. The folks at Long Haul do some great stuff and Reclaim the Streets is certainly not "lifestylist." Traffic and the car culture are important concerns to many urban residents. I know I really enjoy the feeling one gets when you participate in a Critical Mass or RTS. It also has to be said that these movements have been very effective in getting many new people involved in activism, who normally are turned off by all the paper-selling and dreadful serious that characterizes traditional Leftism. For example, you aren't ever going to see the ISO organize an RTS.

The real lifestylists are the liberal yuppies who drive their Mercedes to Fresh Fields and think that their consumerism is making a difference.

Chuck0