useful idiots of the empire

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Fri Mar 15 19:54:00 PST 2002

Ali:
>Compared to [Horowitz], former Trotskyists Christopher Hitchens and
>Kanaan Makiya must still appear as marginal and slightly frivolous
>figures. They would certainly fail the Horowitz test, but if the
>stakes are raised and Baghdad is bombed yet again, this time as a
>prelude to a land invasion, how will our musketeers react?

Hitchens would like to see Saddam gone, but he has pointed out, as have others on this list, that the Bush Administration doesn't seem to have a plan for post-Saddam Iraq and they have no faith in the INC.

Unfortunately, the recent "pressure" on Israel by the administration is probably just for softening up the Arab world for a move on Baghdad. If Turkey and Saudi Arabia are against it, which bases will the US use for the attack?

(As a side note, in this last Wednesday's New York Times, James Bennet, the Jerusalem bureau chief, wrote a front page story titled "UN Chief Tells Israel It Must End 'Illegal Occupation'" - why the quotes btw? At the very end he quotes a graduate student I've met, a very beautiful one who's been visiting the Middle East for years. Here's a counter example for those folks who like to slag graduate students and academics. I put brakets around the paragraph that only appears in the print edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/13/international/middleeast/13MIDE.html "Most Palestinians hid indoors, and shops were closed. Some American citizens found themselves trapped in their homes as the Israelis rolled in. "Anyone who goes outside is either crazy or has a death wish," said Lori Allen, 31, who is living in Ramallah doing research for a doctorate in anthropology at the University of Chicago.

Speaking by telephone, Ms. Allen said her house had been hit by gunfire. "It's been sort of terrifying," she said.

[Ms. Allen described the subject of her research as "the role pain and suffering plays in Palestinian nationalism and state building."]