useful idiot of the Mugger (WAS Re: useful idiots of the empire)

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 16 04:58:18 PST 2002

--- Patrick Bond <pbond at wn.apc.org> wrote: > The globo-reformist that you are Chris, I didn't
> expect you to get sucked
> into "my enemy's enemy is my friend" crap.

Funny how when this sort of thing affects wealthy white farmers, the west suddenly starts worrying about "democracy". I'm not denying that those elections were unfair - but I doubt they were less so that the ones won by "liberalisers" in Eastern Europe, which were endorsed by by western "observers". Some scepticism is in order.

There was a good article about this in the New Statesman last week:

http://www.newstatesman.co.uk/200203110021.htm

Robert Mugabe's expulsion of European Union election observers from Zimbabwe was widely reported in horror-struck tones worthy of an attempted rape on Mother Teresa. But I have watched more than 70 elections since 1990, and I think that a little scepticism is in order.

Determining the legitimacy of elections is not just an arithmetical exercise in checking that the returns match the declared result. It is a powerful weapon in global politics. I have seen blatantly rigged polls endorsed by official observers, and I have seen honestly conducted elections discredited. This has led me to the conclusion that - to paraphrase Stalin - it doesn't matter who votes, it matters who observes the voting. The international observers' reports form the basis of a new government's acceptability to international organisations; they also determine access to aid and investment from western taxpayers through the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and so on. A popular mandate is good, but a majority among the observers is better.