Regressions and Advances (Was: Re: Walzer on the Left)

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 16 09:57:27 PST 2002

--- Kendall Clark <kendall at monkeyfist.com> wrote: >
> writes:
>
> miles> Fortunately, there's actual scientific
> research on this.
> miles> Various researchers have conducted
> experiments that randomly
> miles> assign men to different types of film and
> measure attitudes
> miles> and behavior towards women. The basic
> finding is this:
> miles> exposure to "aggressive" erotic materials
> provoke more
> miles> negative attitudes and more aggression
> against women.
> miles> Exposure to sexually explicit films with no
> aggressive
> miles> content does not provoke more negative
> attitudes and
> miles> aggression against women, compared to
> groups exposed to films
> miles> without sexual content.
>
> Research MacKinnon and Dworkin cite repeatedly.
> Thanks for putting it
> clearly.
>
> miles> So does any porn provoke violence against
> women? It's not as
> miles> simple as the Dworkinites assume.
>
> I don't know what a Dworkinite is, but M&D certainly
> present a
> nuanced, careful view in *In Harm's Way* and Dworkin
> does so alone in
> many places. They claim porn causes or contributes
> to a fairly wide
> range of social ills, from the objectification of
> women, to the undue
> focus on sex as penile-vaginal intercourse, to
> diminishment of some
> men's willingess to credit testimony of rape
> survivors, to apathy
> about sexual violence in general, to the actual
> commission of rape and
> sexual violence.

These seem like difficult things to prove. How do they go about it? How do they prove that the sort of people who would watch porn, wouldn't be the sort of people who would objectify women and be apathetic about sexual violence? What controls do they use? How come Britain is worse in these regards (being until recently a country with a lot of censorship) than the Netherlands, or Sweden (where there is very little)?