Dicks & dough

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sat Mar 16 13:35:45 PST 2002

At 09:10 PM 03/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>There are dozens of studies done on the effects of exposure to various
>sexually explicit materials on attitudes about rape survivors, so I'm
>not sure which ones D. refers to. Almost all studies that include
>both aggressive and nonaggressive sexual film conditions show that
>"rape myths" are more likely to be accepted by the men in the
>aggressive film condition: Mullin & Linz, 1995, Boeringer, 1994,
>Allen, Emmers, Gebhardt & Giery, 1995, Malamuth & Check, 1981. I
>can extend the list if you'd like. You will find little or no
>solid experimental research that provides support for the claim
>that nonaggressive sexual content has a negative influence on
>men's attitudes toward women.

I don't care how many studies they do. Studies will prove anything. In fact, I don't even buy the "cause and effect" basis upon which most studies are based. I mean, do you all remember how, after the Watts riots, they started doing studies at UCLA to investigate the biological roots of black violence?

I was ruminating upon cause and effect scenarios as I was reading through the porn lbo debate... and the random thought came into my head...."does this mean that Catholicism causes pedophilia?" None of this makes sense to me.

I don't see porn either as a triumph of or a defeat of feminism. It is simply a mechanistic way of amplifying sexual excitation ...and therefore amplifying sexual release. And I have never, never understood why it is that strippers, prostitutes, etc. claim to be empowered by taking money for sex...though I have a friend who built an incredibly successful academic career on that principle.

The problem isn't porn, the problem is unconsciousness.

"Prisons are built with stones of law; brothels with bricks of religion."

Joanna