poll

sui.generis at myrealbox.com sui.generis at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 17 11:43:36 PST 2002

At 02:24 PM 3/17/02 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>sui.generis at myrealbox.com wrote:

>>>Right. I'm keeping a little list. And I'm going to, um, do something
>>>with it, as soon as I figure out what.
>>>
>>>You're kidding, right?
>>>
>>>Doug
>>
>>yes, and you're kidding about the vote. it is idiotic to have the list
>>vote on it. lists cannot be democracies in that way because the members
>>of the community change. you can also pull the plug on it. the vote
>>becomes symbolic of all sorts of irrational things. given that people
>>STILL think that it's about getting rid of archives and don't understand
>>the technology, they're confused. etc. all in all, voting is a dumb idea
>>and i'm not participating it in it except to rig it. why the fuck DO you
>>think there are so many no votes!?
>
>The more I think about it the more pissed off I get. First you tell me I
>treat this list like a bourgeois property owner,

dude, what i told you was that you were fair game. you dismissed joe's legit concerns and suggested he was protecting his bourg privacy. that's really absurd given that you know that he lives in texas and wouldn't exactly be on the best dressed list if people saw half of what he wrote here.

> then when I ask people to vote on a matter of list policy, you try to
> sabotage it. Oh, and then the defender of the rural poor against all the
> citified smarty pants thinks the members of this list are too stupid to
> undertand the issues.

i didn't do a thing, i was yanking your chain. look at the logs. gte.com hasn't visited that site, ever, has it? 24.96.51.37 is it there? NO! i was merely pointing out that it can easily be rigged. that's why it is stupid.

voting isn't democratic in a forum like this and you've made it clear that you don't want to do it. i had to learn at pulp that, as listowner, people are afraid of me. it seems strange given so hard some people like to go after the owner, but it's true: a lot of people are afraid to offend a list owner, even though a significant minority like to challenge you and are sometimes here just to hate you.

>Could it be that you're afraid the vote would show that you're in a tiny
>minority so you don't want it to happen? Could it be that the turnout
>would be small, showing that almost no one gives a shit about the issue
>except you and "the always-angry Mr Budge," as Ravi so accurately put it?

i KNOW i'm in a tiny minority already. no one piped up to support the effort. duh.

>I should just shut this fucking thing down. I'd get more work done, and
>have to endure less crap in my life.
>
>Doug

yes, you could. and i'd pay for it so you don't have to pay to get flamed. could it be you LIKE paying for the abuse! :)

come on doug, a freudian like you ought to get that one.

chill out. life is too short. all i ever wanted was to be treated with respect when i raised the issue. you couldn't be bothered. had you, and had you responded to me with more than put downs, i would have let it drop.

now, i have work to do and you won't see me post for awhile, so i can make for all the money i cost you, 'k?

HAND