poll

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Mar 18 10:52:32 PST 2002

At 03:14 PM 03/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>yes, and you're kidding about the vote. it is idiotic to have the list vote
>on it. lists cannot be democracies in that way because the members of the
>community change. you can also pull the plug on it. the vote becomes
>symbolic of all sorts of irrational things. given that people STILL think
>that it's about getting rid of archives and don't understand the
>technology, they're confused. etc. all in all, voting is a dumb idea and
>i'm not participating it in it except to rig it. why the fuck DO you think
>there are so many no votes!?

My understanding was that the vote was about name-munging and not about getting rid of the archives. It's quite possible people voted NO, because they are not concerned with security and future profiling, or they are concerned but are freedom of speech fundamentalists and willing to defend it.

I don't understand the combative tone though. Doug was trying to do right by the majority of the people on the list right now. Sure, populations change; the population of the US changes too, but we still have the same bill of rights.

Joanna