Brock

Heer, Jeet (National Post) JHeer at nationalpost.com
Mon Mar 18 11:58:57 PST 2002

Bruce Bawer is not really a gay conservative anymore. He stopped writing for the American Spectator/NewCriterion/Commentary in the early 1990s and voted for Clinton, so he is a gay New Democrat. He still writes what I think are dumb polemics against the Left (see his article on Edward Said in the latest Hudson Review), but to his credit he's seperated himself from the real neandrathals of U.S. politics. So, I actually think he was a good choice to review Brock.

Speaking of whom, I've been skimming his book, with great relish, and appreciated Brad's nice summury of the juicy bits (although he left out Ann Coulter's baiting of the Jews). Brock's book is too petty and self-involved to be a plausible political polemic, but it does paint a convincing enough image of the unsavory world of conservative intellectuals.