EU planning sweet revenge

paul childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Sun Mar 17 22:53:51 PST 2002

>Subject: Re: Re:EU planning sweet revenge

>These battles were specifically targeted to defeat certain >politicians? And

>was that targeting announced?

Specific politicians, not that I recall, specific political agendas, yes. Mind you our Prime Minister has always been a useful generic target for the U.S. (see tapes re. Nixon and Pierre Elliot Trudeau).

The debate over cultural protection in NAFTA did bring out that well known bag of sleaze Jack Valenti who did, more or less, threaten our cultural industry (our tax breaks for film making etc. were going to cripple Hollywood you see), and by implication our federal minister of heritage aka, culture, was seen to be the leader of this assault on the poor benighted American film industry.

Others, like the potato blight hoo-ha, target specific areas/provinces, in this case Prince Edward Island. Lobbying in the US to ban potatoes from there almost killed the industry there. By default these type of disputes become political and people/parties get targeted.

Perhaps I misread, has the US or EU targetted specific politicians on the steel tariff issue?

PC

http://netwinsite.com/dbabble/