Where?

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 13:20:32 PST 2002

>>[Margaret Thatcher] says in her new book, serialised in The Times, that
>>most of the problems the world has faced, including Nazism and Marxism,
>>have come from mainland Europe.
>
>Apparently she forgot where Marx and Engels lived and worked most of
>their lives. I sat in Marx's chair at the old Brit Museum, before
>they tore it up--the B.M., notthechair.

No she doesn't: I don't think it's available in the online version, but in the print edition of The Times she "regrets" that Marx wrote his books in the British Library...

The British Museum is still there; it's the Library that has been displaced (I never used the old one, but rather like the new one in St Pancras).

How did you know it was Marx's chair you sat on? (Haven't they been renumbered from time to time, and is there a good record of which one he used to use?)

C, --

----------------- Chris Brooke <editors at voiceoftheturtle.org> The Voice of the Turtle <http://voiceoftheturtle.org>