al-Qaeda and Taliban

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Mon Mar 18 18:42:53 PST 2002

I just wrote:

>>When you get down to the reality on the ground and the cultural
differences and space which separate SA from Pakistan and S.A., I think there is a distinction to be made.<<

Yeah, right. I meant: Pakistan and Afghanistan, the countries where Pashtuns are. In Afghanistan, they form a minority that is estimated to be 40-50 percent of the population (might be a while before Afghanistan gives us a census). And they form an important minority in the makeup of Pakistan (didn't they help the Pakistan gov't wipe out politicized Baluchis back in the 70-80s?).

Charles Jannuzi