Brock

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 18 23:31:23 PST 2002

>I hate to admit remembering this, but in a January review of Posner's intellectual survey, Brock
>wrote, "Because Posner is, despite it all, a marvel. He is hyperactive like Harold Bloom, audacious
>like Christopher Hitchens and a practical man of the world like Alan Greenspan. About how many
>Americans can that be said?" Get up off your knees and wipe that chin, David!
>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/13/books/review/13BROOKST.html

are you talking about the same Posner that wrote that book about the decline of the intellectual? i was just flipping through that book when i was in...a bookstore. i came up with a good publishers blurb, critical review..whatever, for that book.

"as a satirist, Posner is without peer. he weaves effortlessly a corrosive, complex Mobius stip of ineffectual kneejerk criticisms."

i read enough of it to note he attributes the decline of the intellectual to specialization etc. then turns around and condems chomsky for writing outside "his area of expertise"....it made me dizzy....i was forced to interpret it as sarcasm. I was tempted to look for the chapter about publishers giving book deals to writers like Posner as a signifigant contribution to the decline of the intellectual but i figured a good satirist like Posner would'nt stoop so low as to hit his readers over the head with a hammer to get his point accross....and i chastised myself for not knowing better.

~M.E.