poll results

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Mar 19 08:30:54 PST 2002

Matt Cramer wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, ravi wrote:
>

>>i am curious as to why people who voted "no" did so.
>

> There are a lot of great articles and commentary that gets posted here.
> If I am searching the archives and come across a post but want to ask the
> author for a reference, or for more information, I can do so without
> cluttering the list.

yes, but it is trivially easy to set the archive up so only those users who want their email addresses obscured will have that happen. it does not make sense to me that you want to force those people to stay visible because you may benefit from asking them something... to thwart you, they could just subscribe from two addresses, post from one (which address gets recorded in the archive) and send all email to that address to /dev/null.

i do not care about having my address obscured, nor do i understand the long history that has led to such a contentious debate on this matter. my left-leaning impulses tell me that anything that enhances the choices of the list members is a good thing. of course, it is unfair to expect doug or marco to labour to please each whim and fancy, but peeling away all the angry words, a decent case has been made for obscuring addresses (including an example of an actual listmember losing a job as a result of posts made to this list), and doug and marco seem willing to implement the changes.

--ravi