Private Idiots

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Tue Mar 19 10:16:36 PST 2002

Speaking of cultural inbreding, did all y'all see GUMMO? Was that a big movie in your circles? I thought it was truly amazing(despite the cat thing). Gummo's mother reminded me so much of the mentally-challanged mother of my friend Susan's niece Rene. Rene came to live with Susan several years ago. She's an A student in an advanced program in a good school and has had every advantage. It was easy to see her as Gummo-ish had she stayed with her mom whom she was already care-taking at 6 or 7. When she first came to Susan the dramatic rebellion against expectations was torture for both. Now she's probably the most grounded, relaxed almost 17 yr old I've ever known. Anyway, loved that movie. Bought it the day after I returned it to the movie store. The phrase "they never had a chance" keep skimming my brain.

Often feel Gummo-ish myself, out here in the Rube Gallery.