The Third Man Quote

Greg Schofield g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au
Tue Mar 19 17:02:56 PST 2002

Please do not take too literally what are some of the greatest dramatic lines spoken in cinema. Harry Lime's confrontation on Vienna's huge Praeter wheel is a classic. Harry urbane, intelligent, likeable, smiles as he realises that the police already know he is alive and does not have to to thrust his life-long friend out the door and to his death.

He does not plead for understanding but explains his role in a perverse world - the quote is just that, a calculated perversity intended to make the audience think - not on historical arguments but on the contradictory nature of society - and it works just as well today as it did fifty years ago.

In another context it might have been the mediterrean influence as against that of the alps - the point is not the factuality of the reference but what it invokes - it is the difference between prose and poetry.

The last part of the wheel scene:

Harry: "You're just a little mixed up about things in general. Nobody thinks in terms of human beings. Governments don't so why should we, they talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs, its the same thing."

"They have their five year plans and so have I."

Holly: "You use to believe in God."

Harry: "I still do believe in God, old man. I believe in God and mercy, all that, but the dead are happier dead. They don't miss much here poor devils."

"What do you believe in?"

<Snip> Harry talks of Anna, offers partnership to Holly<Snip>

"Don't be so gloomy. Afterall its not that awful. As the fella says: In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

"So long Holly"

Holly looks on. Scene ends as Harry departs.

Bretch would have loved this I think and so do I. It is powerful, provocative and designed to be so. Carol Reed's envisioning of Graham Greene's novel (he also wrote the screen play), that magical music by Anton Karas, is superb by any measure (not one of the best films this is advertising hype - but film as a work of art pure and simple).

Greg Schofield Perth Australia g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Use LesTecML Mailer (http://www.lestec.com.au/) * Powerful filters. * Create you own headers. * Have email types launch scripts. * Use emails to automat your work. * Add comments on receive. * Use scripts to extract and check emails. * Use MAID to create taylor-made solutions. * LesTecML Mailer is fully controlled by REXX. * A REXX interpreter is freely available. _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________

--- Message Received --- From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:40:37 -0600 Subject: Re: The Third Man Quote

In an essay years ago someone neatly turned the tables on this remark by pointing out that Switzerland also produced the Liberal historian Jacob Burckhardt, who invented the Renaissance (in his 1860 book Die Kultur der Renaissance in Italien). The thoroughly ideologized notion of the Renaissance as another giant step in the Long March of Freedom that led from Caesar to Bill Gates misrepresents several generations of frenzied intellectual reaction and loss of nerve amongst European intellectuals in response to the breakdown of the medieval mode of production in the 14th century. The intellectuals -- later called "Renaissance Humanists" by their epigoni -- reacted as we have to admit intellectuals usually do, by sucking up to power, e.g. the Borgias and the Medicis, and the Valois and the Tudors. (As for the artists, David Hockney suggests they did it all with mirrors -- or at least lenses.) --CGE