gambling

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Mar 19 19:20:11 PST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Heer, Jeet (National Post) wrote:

> Does anyone know any academics who study gambling, lotteries, etc. and their
> social effects. It could be from any of a number of fields: economics,
> sociology, history, etc.

I don't know if it falls outside your purview, but Frederick and Steve Barthelme (published novelists, college professors and Donald Barthelme's little brothers) wrote a joint memoir about what seemed like a pretty remarkable bout of obsessional gambling called _Double Down_. The reviews called it well written and enlightening.

Michael