poll results

sui.generis at myrealbox.com sui.generis at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 19 23:41:12 PST 2002

At 12:32 AM 3/20/02 -0500, Michael Pollak wrote:
>and if it were extremely easy; and if such people
>asked rather than demanded; then I might have thought differently.
>
>Michael

it's misrepresenations like this that are most troubling. after months of defending doug's right to do as he wishes, and after twice now warding off discussions by helping people manage privacy/spam on their own, this what i get from doug and from you. doug insults me and the faggot from texas of valuing bour privacy. i'd appreciate it if you explain how it was that either budge or i demanded. show us where we demanded something more than 1. a discussion and 2. to be treated with respect, rather than sneered at as libertarian paranoid freaks concerned about bourg privacy!

neither budge nor i wanted to force doug to do anything. i never expected anything to change, as evidenced by one post that i purposefully wrote in order to archive a message to my kid when he grows up and discovers the archive and google.

we did want an actual discussion and some reasons why he actually refused to do something trivially easy. we wanted to understand why he rejected a simple solution. that's what was at issue. given how trivially easy it is to implement, i couldn't figure out what the problem was. all the objections raised thus far have been rendered moot by a technology that has been designed to address them!

below is what i've written in the past. you have recent discussions. perhaps you could show me where i demanded anything. i'm quite serious since i don't understand the accusations and i can't change anything without some pointers.

thanks.

>At 10:05 AM 9/6/01 -0700, joanna bujes wrote:
>
>>So, is this possible? Blanking out the email adress for the web archive?

yes! i'd asked doug about scripting the archives so they wouldn't come up on google searches, but it seems a shame to keep such a resource from public view, since it is very useful to others and is a way of advertising the list and the newsletter. i'd forgotten about this option, but it's what they do at many archives now. http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0109/0304.html

follow the thread and read doug insult me by suggesting i hadn't a klew as to what i was talking about and tell me that i'd never get hired by sun because i didn't attend an ivy league! and, even after that, i didn't raise a ruckus. when justin raised a fuss about his posts in the archives, i typed:

"since doug won't make the archives list member only (for good reasons, since this place is a brain trust for google searches on lefty topics and doug (mainly, but "we" also) made that happen. it's a lot of hard work to create and run a list.), my advice is that you should not go by your real full name. i (and doug and gary norris) have had to deal with a weirdo net loon, so i've taken steps to use two different names. no one here knows my real last name, for instance, tho some may guess and any proficient searcher will discover it, eventually, or figure out the possibilities."

(From: Kelley Subject: Protecting Your Privacy Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:39:25 -0500)