Gorbachev on Putin

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Wed Mar 20 09:38:58 PST 2002

Yes but time to do what? That is the burning question in my mind. I have this secret hope that Putin is a commie and that the ex-SU is _now_ ripe for communism. Seems to me the peoples of the ex-SU are the only ones who've known both worlds, and what's more are educated enough to form an opinion about them - viz that under capitalism a handful make a killing while the masses get demolished. Putin brought Russia back from turning into a mafia state, stopped capital flight, increased exports, reduced poverty, showed that Russia could be a strategic player again, and is pulling together the federation, I keep asking myself what this disciplined and sharp KGB officer is aiming at? He doesn't look like an oligarch or a cult of personality type. Even less is he the confiding, outspoken type, but nevertheless you must have an idea by now. So what do you think?

Hakki