al-Qaeda and Taliban

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Wed Mar 20 09:59:41 PST 2002

A chest-puffing story of Canadian bravery from CBC. I guess the salient facts are true, though. It's an example of detailed war reporting - although the accounts of members of such small units are very hard to verify - that we almost forgot ever existed.

http://cbc.ca/cp/world/020318/w031854.html Canadian snipers operate with cool but deadly efficiency in Afghan battle

BAGRAM, Afghanistan (CP) - Canada's snipers have ducked mortars and dodged bullets in eastern Afghanistan in the last two weeks. They were nearly shot to pieces by a U.S. Apache helicopter gunship - it stopped firing just in the nick of time.

They are said to have the highest number of confirmed kills of any regular army unit in the battle, though they deny it. And three of them, along with three U.S. special forces soldiers, also rescued a company of the American 101st Airborne Division that was pinned down by enemy fire on the first day of Operation Anaconda (...) ------------------------------------ The Wash. Times also carried the story without giving the Canadians the limelight.