Scoop: Ice melts!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 21 00:32:58 PST 2002

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>James Heartfield wrote:
>
>>More likely is that this environmental shock-horror story will drift out
>>of people's minds within a few days, along with all the other panics
>>that come along from time to time. The reason for that indifference is
>>not apathy, but an intuitive sense that the sky is probably not falling
>>down.
>
>No, the polar ice caps are. It's no scoop that ice melts; it's
>something of a scoop that the poles are thawing.
>
>Doug

I've read speculation that one effect of global warming could be to disrupt the Gulf Stream, thus causing the UK to get much colder and destroying one of Britain's remaining good points, its favorable climate for gardening. I trust that LBO special correspondent J. Heartfield will keep us posted on developments one way or the other.

Carl