Fwd: Pew Research Center for The People & The Press -- New Poll

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 20 16:40:14 PST 2002

X-From_: www at webfarm1.netcampaign.com Wed Mar 20 15:48:01 2002 Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:45:59 -0500 (EST) To: Subject: Pew Research Center for The People & The Press -- New Poll From: mailprc at people-press.org

Our annual survey about religion and public life finds Americans, despite their religiousness, struggling with the role of religion in the world. It also shows signs of a closet concern about the linkage between violence and Islam. The poll of 2000 adults that we conducted with the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life also includes the following: * Broad condemnation of the Catholic\'s Church\'s handling of the child abuse scandal, even among Catholics * Public divides over religion and personal morality * Strong opposition to government programs to encourage marriage and to political endorsements from the pulpit * Enthusiasm for national service - EXCEPT among the young * Thumbs-up to welfare changes -- even from current and former welfare recipients For the full report, please see \"Americans Struggle with Religion\'s Role at Home and Abroad\" on our website: http://people-press.org