Law and Order Re: Miles' case for a cut in wages

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Wed Mar 20 22:51:51 PST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

> Woah...Now Law and Order is one of my favorite TV
> shows (although I hate the SVU and Criminal Intent
> series they have)
>
> And the acting? I love it...Very to the point and not
> overly dramatic...
>
> I'll admit I'm addicted to this series...but I do miss
> Lenny's wisecracks....

I'm a fan too. I was attracted to the lack of melodrama for a show in a prime-time slot. They dedicated the whole time of the episode to the actual plot.

There was also some great exposure of the complexities and problems in the USCJS. I recall a few episodes:

* wrongfully accused and convicted can't get out of prison * witnesses coerced by cops and prosecutors * mentally ill and homeless fall through the cracks of the health care system and the courts * wealthy / powerful defendents manipulate the system

etc.

In its prime L&O was a witty look at the USCJS. IANAL, but friends that are said it was pretty good for a tv show (I suppose if you are comparing it to Matlock or something that isn't really saying much).

Although lately they wit is fading. They've been taking high profile crimes (e.g. Chandra Levy disappearance) and re-working them for prime time, which doesn't do much for me. I still watch though, because occasionally it is good. But the best stuff IMNSHO is running in syndication on A&E.

CI I didn't like (but only watched once). SVU tends to only be about the Law part (i.e. just a cop show, not so much a show about the cops and the courts) and has a bit of melodrama (e.g. guy cop works too much, is worried about his maturing daughter's sexuality, etc.), both of which break the L&O 'formula'.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 I want peace on earth and good will toward men.

-Erwin "Whistler" Emory We are the United States Government. We don't do that sort of thing.

-Bernard Abbott