Green insincerity

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Mar 21 10:55:59 PST 2002

Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>:
> >I think we've had this discussion before, but "build public transit"
> >is not a "solution" to the "problem" of "too many cars" . . .

Carl Remick:
> That's quite a mare's nest of scare quotes you have there. In any case,
> before there were too many cars, there were trolleys. Why not bring back
> light-rail systems?

Because apparently most people don't want them. Don't blame me: I ride a bicycle to work, wherefore I am considered an amusing crank by my co-workers.

I think, by the way, that _work_ is the big problem. If you want to reduce transportation-related energy consumption, you need to reduce work. At one time I drove 100 miles a day, five days a week, because that's where the money was. I certainly wouldn't drive 500 miles a week to go to the mall or tool around the housing development, even if I were a crazed deep suburbanite. Additional taxes on fuel or automobiles will simply inflict pain on these already suffering, defrauded, deluded workers.

So you see, I am a crank. Because we all know that work cannot be reduced.

-- Gordon