trains

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Mar 21 11:51:42 PST 2002

> One good thing about post-9/11 life is that people are taking a
> second look at the convenience train travel offers.

It's just too bad that it's only convenient in a small number of cases. BOS->WAS (413 air miles) is certainly the best example we have in the US, especially since there's no non-stop service into National from Boston: you have to get into Dulles instead. Interestingly, the Acela Express on this route takes a little over 6:30 one way; a similar trip in Europe is Zurich->Berlin which takes just over 8 hours (with a change in Hanover) or London -> Lyon (471 air miles, 6:12 via Eurostar and TGV with a change in Lille/Europe).

Sacramento -> Los Angeles (373 air miles) is of course a joke at almost 15 hours (if you're lucky). Chicago -> St. Louis (258 air miles) is 5:30 ...

In a sense, it's even worse in most of the short-haul markets: Austin -> Dallas is 183 air miles, but takes 6 hours on Amtrak. Grayhound will do it in 3:05.

In the US, trains compete (poorly!) with busses.

/jordan