Green insincerity

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Mar 21 11:52:15 PST 2002

Brad writes:

> Well, if raising the price doesn't cut down on driving, then reducing
> the price must!

Faulty logic, but sure: funny.

> Let's make gasoline absolutely free as a way of
> reducing our dependence on foreign oil and the magnitude of our
> greenhouse gas emissions!

I'm not sure that this follows, but reducing the price of gasoline (by, say, redirecting the source of the extensive taxes that are already on gas -- gas is cheap, but not by the time it gets to the pump) would have a not-insignificant impact on the lives of poor people who drive.

Gas taxes are regressive.

-----

I don't see how you can believe that changing the price of gas (in either direction) will have an impact on how much driving goes on. If you want to change how much people drive, you're going to have to make RADICAL changes to how communities are organized.

In the mean time, there's plenty you can do to reduce some of the big contributors to "greenhouse gas" emissions if that's your goal without resorting to "Let's see if increasing the pain will get them to stop" -- as though most driving is discretionary.

/jordan